What is grey hair ?
Gray hair is an optical illusion caused by the presence of white hair amongst other black hair, and this look is also referred as salt and pepper’ look.
Our hair root has special cells called melanocytes, These cells are pre-programmed to produce melanin for a designated period of time. Melanin is the pigment that gives your hair its vibrant hue, After some point of your life, These melanocytes stop working and gray hair appears on your scalp.
When 50% hair become grey before 50 years age. or the presence of greying earlier than usual age like presence of grey hair before age 30 in white and before age 35 in Asian and before 40 Africans.
Causes of pre mature greying is not completely understood.
1. Genetics - Gene IRF4 which decide hair colour also play a role in greying. The discovery confirms graying has genetic and environmental components
2. Imbalance including hyperthyroidism and hypothyroidism.
3. Vitamin b-12 ,iron, copper, iodine, vit d3, serum calcium deficiency.
3. Environmental -pollution, excessive heat, humid weather.
4. Smoking - Smoking produce huge amount of reactive oxygen species leading to increased oxidative stress culminating into damage to melanin producing cells, melanocytes. smokers has 4 time more chance of greying than non smokers.
5. Prolong exposure to uv ray.
6. Malnutrition and Pernicious anemia (pernicious anaemia where body can not absorb enough vit B-12
7. Lower bone mineral density is also considered associated with greying in female below 40( osteoporosis)(Not yet proven)
8. Stress, anxiety also considered associated with pre mature greying as they decrease production of melanin.
9. Use of heating appliances like blow dry and straightening.
10. Hair products and procedures also cause greying.
11. Inflammatory food like processed food and greasy foods
Medical science is struggling with a proven treatment. If some cause driven premature greying is there it can be treated, but its not common.
Contemporary treatment like laser therapy and oxidative therapy has not much success story. A new molecule capexyl claim treatment for premature greying but again not very effective.
Lifestyle management with reduction of stress, adequate hydration, iron-rich foods, minerals, and Vitamins A and B. calcium pantothenate containing tablets may help in delaying premature greying. it is said that food rich in antioxidant and rich in iodine like carrots, bananas and fish also delays premature greying.
HIDING THE GREY
It seems concealing the grey is most practical solution in modern days to avoid social stigma.
HOME REMEDY FOR PRE MATURE GRAYING
Home remedies are also worth giving a try.
#1.Henna & Amla (Indian Gooseberries).
How should we use it?
Mix equal parts of henna powder and amla powder in a bowl of water. Let it rest for an hour and then apply the paste generously on your scalp and the lengths of your hair. Keep it for 2 hours and then it off with a mild shampoo.
Why should we use it?
Henna is one of the oldest remedies to get rid of gray hair and bring back strong, healthy, and dark hair. Emile is rich in vitamin C and has anti-aging vitamin, which helps to stimulate the scalp and get rid of the dead scalp cells
#2. Henna and Shikakai
Henna; here you go... It is SHIKAKAI. Add 3 tablespoons of shikakai powder and amla powder in a bowl of water. Cover the bowl and let it rest overnight. Wash your hair in the morning with this mixture. Do this once a week for results. Packed with vitamins C and D, Shikoku is an extremely popular Ayurvedic remedy for bringing back life to your hair and reducing gray hair. To make shikakai powder, you could simply grind the fruit pods.
#3 Curry leaves and coconut oil
Curry leaves and coconut oil are an effective solution for grey and rough hair. Vitamin B present in curry leaves restores the functions of the natural pigment in the hair follicles and provides a shining black color to the hair strands and prevents further greying of hair. It also supplies essential nutrients to the hair and heals damaged hair roots. Being a rich source of beta-carotene, it stimulates hair growth and prevents hair fall. The benefits of coconut oil for hair and skin are numerous as well. It is the best natural conditioner for dry and rough hair as it smoothes the open hair cuticles and makes hair lustrous, bouncy and manageable. These two together make for a great home remedy as they are easily found in almost all Indian homes.
How should we use these two ingredients?
Take 1 cup of coconut oil and a handful of curry leaves. Add the curry leaves to the oil and boil it for 6 to 8 minutes, or till the leaves turn black. Remove the mix from the flame and let it cool. Strain the oil in a container and massage your scalp and hair with it 3 to 4 times per week before going to bed. Wash it off with a mild herbal shampoo in the morning.
#4 Mustard oil and Henna leaves
Take 250 ml of mustard oil and boil it with 60 grams of henna leaves and 50 grams fenugreek seeds for 10 minutes at low heat. Allow it to cool, then filter and store. Apply this infusion overnight in your hair thrice a week to get black and shiny hair. Wash the oil with mild shampoo. Follow this for 3 months
#5 onion juice
Onion contains catalase, an enzyme that prevents premature greying. Apply onion juice on your scalp. Massage the scalp gently. Leave it overnight and then wash it off the next day with a mild shampoo.